Better English writing need not be sophisticated. You do not have to use difficult or grand sounding words for better English writing. In fact, the evergreen rule is to keep your writing short and simple. The ideal English text is easy to read and understand. Readability and comprehension should be your main objectives when producing any piece of written work. How can you achieve this? The following will help:
In terms of paragraphs, keep them short. How can you do this? Try the following:
- Focus on one main point or idea per paragraph. Summarize it in your first sentence.
- Ensure that all sentences that follow support the main point or limit its scope.
- Use the last sentence as a transition or lead-on to the next paragraph.
Your better English writing text should be well structured. Usually, texts are structured as follows:
- Title or heading
- Main body
Do not be too rigid with your texts. Make them interesting. One way of doing this is to vary the lengths of your sentences. In addition to sentences, do also vary the lengths of your paragraphs. There are a number of ways to structure your text. Some of these are:
- General to Specific: Start with a general or broad statement followed by details and examples.
- Specific to General: Give details and examples followed by a general or broad statement.
- Known to Unknown: Provide new information based on what readers already know.
- Least Important to Most Important: Capture and keep your readers’ attention.
- Chronology: List or order events and items based on time.
In following what is recommended for better English writing, bear in mind what would most effectively convey your message. This would depend on who your readers are, what you are writing about, the medium used and a whole lot of other factors. Additionally, grammar, spelling, punctuation and flow are some of the elements that are crucial for better English writing. Your challenge would be how best to ensure that your writing complies, conforms and meets all that is required for better English writing.
One way of producing better English writing is to proofread and check your written work. However, to read and proofread, you must have the required knowledge in addition to time. Most people do not even have the time to review what they have written. Getting others to do the proofreading and checking for you has many limitations. Is there a better alternative? Yes, there is and it has proven to be the choice of even those who are regarded as fluent in better English writing.